Friday, March 18, 2011

Graeme Melvin's 'surreal' six days in Tokyo

A Scot teaching English in Japan has kept a diary of the days following the 9.0 magnitude earthquake that hit the country.

Graeme Melvin, 28, from Edinburgh, but now living in the Tokyo area, previously told the BBC Scotland news website of the hours after the quake. Here he recounts the past six days.

Saturday

The day after the earthquake violently shook Tokyo to its foundations, both physically and mentally.

Following my haphazard, marathon journey home from Tokyo, I sat at 6.30am in my apartment still feeling totally stunned and unsure of what to do.

Thankfully I was able to contact my family to let them know that I was ok.

I knew that I should try to get some rest but a combination of shock and adrenaline ensured that there was no way I would be able to sleep.

I spent most of the day on Facebook trying to contact friends in Japan. I was relieved to find that many of them had been at home when the earthquake had hit and the others were spread out across Tokyo unable to get home due to the earthquake's crippling effect on Tokyo's vast rail and subway network.

More

No comments: