Friday, June 10, 2011

Newt Gingrich loses key members of his campaign

Gingrich vowed in a Facebook post to continue "the substantive, solutions-oriented campaign I set out to run earlier this spring," saying it would begin "anew" with an appearance before the Republican Jewish Coalition in Los Angeles on Sunday.

The mass exodus of his campaign staff, first reported by the Associated Press, raises questions about Gingrich's ability to raise money, attract grass-roots support and devise a credible path to the Republican nomination in 2012.

"The campaign manager met with the senior advisers and Newt, and they couldn't find a mutually agreeable path forward," spokesman Rick Tyler told USA TODAY. "They decided to leave, and at that point, I decided that I had a disagreement with the path forward, and when that happens, the candidate's path forward is the path forward. It's not the staff's."

Tyler, who worked for Gingrich for 12 years, said he still believed he would make a "great president."

Former Georgia governor Sonny Perdue, who had been Gingrich's national campaign co-chairman, joined a rival campaign for former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, according to Pawlenty's campaign.



No comments: