Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Captain America" to reboot interest in comics?


(CBS News)  

"Captain America" opens in theaters Friday across the U.S., but will the film keep comics alive?

"Early Show" co-anchor Jeff Glor recently visited the man behind Marvel Comics -- Editor in Chief Axel Alonso -- to find out.

Glor reports that, long before Captain America showed up in the 2011 summer film, he was seen on the cover of a Marvel comic book in the spring of 1941.

Showing Glor the original comic, Alonso said, "These are little pieces of history you are holding in your hands here."

Pictures: "Captain America" debuts

For more than 70 years, Marvel has been making comics, with writers and illustrators penning fantastic tales of good versus evil. Spider-Man, The Hulk and X-Men are just some of the company's heroes.

Alonso, pointing to characters in the comics, said, "That's' Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman and Magneto. ... I couldn't tell you who any of them were when I got the job."

That's because the latest caretaker of Marvel's famous characters is a guy who got into it by accident.

"Working in comics was never a goal," he said. "I went to Columbia Graduate School of Journalism, I wrote for a bunch of papers, but I actually answered an ad in The New York Times for editors at DC Comics. And I thought 'Oh, I'd kinda like to check that out."'

More--
 


No comments: