Defiant from the dock, Breivik boasts more will die
The rightwing extremist who confessed to the mass killings in Norway boasted in court on Monday that there were two more cells from his terror network still at large, prompting an international investigation for collaborators.
After Anders Behring Breivik pleaded not guilty, despite admitting that he had carried out the attacks in Oslo and on Utøya island, officials said it was possible he had not acted alone.
Prosecutor Christian Hatlo said Breivik had been calm in court and "seemed unaffected by what has happened", adding that the suspect had told investigators during his interrogation that he never expected to be released.
"We can't quite rule out that someone else was involved. This is partly based on the information that there are two other cells," Hatlo said.
The prosecutor said he could not discuss whether Breivik had organised the cells or whether he was working alongside them. Police have said they have no other suspects at present.
It also emerged on Monday that Norway's police security service had been alerted to a suspicious chemical purchase by Breivik in March, but had decided not to investigate further.
Police also lowered the previously announced death toll, saying 68 people died on Utøya, not 86 as previously stated. Eight died in the bomb attack in Oslo, taking the total number of fatalities to 76.